We are looking for staff!
JOB TITLE: Grain & Livestock Technician
LOCATION: Val Marie, Saskatchewan
Position: Full time beginning Sept 1, 2019
SUMMARY: Assist with grain production, cattle management, grass management and feed production tasks on cow-calf (1000 cows) and grasser (1200 head) operation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise cows calving on pasture. Handle, move and process cattle.
- Monitor cattle and grass conditions during grazing season. Implement grazing plan
- Assist with timed Artificial Insemination program
- Irrigating ‑ border dyke irrigation, and mowing ditches.
- Contributes to feed production operations.
- Deliver feeding program and health check cattle. Administer medications as per protocol.
- Load and transport agricultural products. (Lift 50 pounds)
- Repair or construct fence, corrals & other infrastructure.
- Operate, repair, and maintain farm implements and mechanical equipment for seeding, spraying, harvesting, rock picking & cultivating.
- Assist with farm operations as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have:
- A passion for agriculture (soil, grass, cattle)
- Be a self-starter
- Excellent observational skills (to see and take action)
- Knowledge of grass growth and grass management
- Must be able to read and interpret maps, and navigate descriptions of land locations from verbal instruction
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually, unsupervised as directed
- Ability to report back and have a can-do attitude
- Be willing to learn and have a strong work ethic
- Willing to live in a rural setting
- If from outside of Canada prepared for culture-shock
- If English is a second language willing to improve English language skills to be completely fluent in the first year
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: 3 to 5 years experience on a cattle or grain operation with a similarity to Western Canadian conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid Saskatchewan Class 5 Driver’s License is required. To have or be willing to get a Class 1A.
PERSONALITY TRAITS: This individual should be honest, courteous, responsible, punctual and dependable; neat in appearance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to lift 55 pounds. Allergies to plants or livestock would be detrimental to your ability to complete the required tasks.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is outside in all weather. We operate a non-smoking, drug-free workplace.
REMUNERATION: Base hourly wage or salary, negotiable depending on experience. Housing available, Workman’s Compensation.
CONTACT FOR DETAILS: (306) 298-2268 or firstname.lastname@example.org